Sunday, October 16, 2011

Telling the Fam’

(This is one of a series of scheduled posts that I've written since I found out that Jacob and I were expecting our first child.  The original composition date is included below).


Sept. 5:  

This weekend Jacob and I had dinner with our families to tell them the news. 

For Jacob’s family, we met at his brother’s place to celebrate his brother’s birthday.  Jacob had this plan about how to tell his brother (well, really, his SECOND plan… his first plan* didn’t fly with me!).  Apparently, about 9 years ago at Christmas, Jacob’s brother asked what Jacob wanted for Christmas… and then asked him if a nephew was ok instead… 7 months later, Jacob’s nephew was born.  Since we were gathering for his brother’s birthday, Jacob thought this would be the perfect way to tell the family.  Probably was, his brother TOTALLY didn’t pick up on it!  Jacob gave several clues (it’s expensive but small, you won’t’ get it until April, it starts with an “N”).  It just was NOT happening!  LOL  Finally though, Jacob’s dad caught on (WAY before his brother did) and, slowly, the rest of the family got it.  They were excited for us, of course.  Lots of questions and baby talk followed--in addition to a viewing of the crib that we’re inheriting. =)

Telling my family two days later did not take nearly as much brain power.  I had no idea how I was going to tell them.  Jacob kept asking me if I’d figured it out yet… I hadn’t.  I was just going to go with the flow. =)  I convinced my family to get together to celebrate my birthday (even though it was two-weeks early).  My mother is all about birthdays and celebrations and likes to go all out.  I was feeling like crap that day (and doing my best to hide it), when she introduced us all the obstacle course in the back yard that she thought would be “fun” for us to do. Lol  I thought I was going to die… but I did it. =) 

Then, at dinner, I was trying to figure out how I was going to bring it up in normal conversation… my nephew totally opened the door for me.  I don’t remember exactly what was being discussed, but my nephew made some comment that he was the only “kid” at the table.  I replied with “you won’t be the only kid for too much longer”.  Everyone was quiet for about 2 seconds and then my mother SCREAMED “ARE YOU PREGNANT??” lol  Someone was a little excited. ;)

All in all, it went well.  Jacob and I both noted how nervous we were to tell them.  I don’t know why nerves was more at the forefront than excitement, but they definitely were.  I can’t help but think that, for the last decade I have been doing everything in my power NOT to get pregnant… it just feels so weird to be OK with it now!  Am I just weird?

*Jacob’s initial plan was not to tell his brother at all, and just see how long he went before he asked about my weight gain. =P  Jacob thought it would be funny.  Me?  Not so much!

No comments: