Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas Wrap Up

I know.  Christmas is old news by now... but, I figured that I should at least say something about the holiday before I get my blog printed out for the year!  Surprisingly, this will not be a picture heavy post... as i didn't really take any photos.  I have noticed that, over the last 20 months of my daughter's life, I have really been more "in the moment" with her, and not stuck behind a camera.  Every now and then I'll put out my camera phone and snap a shot of her doing something cute, but I don't live back there like I did for years (maybe to avoid social interaction? lol).

Christmas Eve... Jacob had to work, so Emily and I spent the day together.  We went to OMSI and played in the kids area until she was pooped, and then headed home and (she) took a nap... her last nap in her crib... ever.

Playing in the sand at OMSI
Last nap in her crib  =(
While she was napping, I hauled her toddler bed out of our closet.  Her Nana and Papa got it for her at a garage sale a few months back, and I was waiting for Christmas to switch it in... not because of "Christmas" but because a) I had taken the entire week off of work, so new that, if the transition went poorly, I wouldn't have to worry about getting up early for work the following day(s) and b) I knew we'd be out late both Christmas even and Christmas day, so she'd fall asleep in the car anyway.  ;)  So, I pulled out the bed, and, when she woke up, made the switch.

She was thrilled.  The moment that I got the mattress on the bed with a new sheet and pillow, she grabbed her blanket, crawled in and laid down. lol.  She was very happy about it... and still is... it was a super easy transition.  We are so lucky with her!

After Jacob got home from work, we packed up the car and drove up to his parents place (about a half hour from our house) for Christmas Eve dinner and a white elephant gift exchange with his extended family.  Lots of good food, good fun and fun presents.  Emily was up WAY too late... and we suffered for it all night long (she kept waking up and crying until one of us would go in there... she never left her bed though!).

First night in her new bed!
The next morning we packed up the car again and headed down to my parent's place (about a 2 hour drive).  Thankfully, the drive was good--Emily slept the whole way, and there was (surprisingly) very little traffic.  We opened presents at my parents house, and then went to my grandma's place for Christmas dinner and more gift opening.  After Christmas Eve, Emily had the unwrapping thing DOWN and we had to protect everyone else's presents from her... which she was really  not a happy camper about!  Last year she didn't really get it... this year it was "watch out". lol

We left at a little after 6:00 to drive home... two hours before Emily's bedtime.  She fell asleep in the car and didn't wake up until the next morning.  The whirlwind of present opening wore her out!  ;)

Jacob and I didn't bother to buy any gifts from Emily this year (or last year) because we knew that "Christmas" doesn't mean anything to her right now (and that her grandparents/aunts/uncles would get her plenty of stuff), but, next year I don't know if we'll be able to avoid it again!  I'm just hoping that she'll be a little nicer to Santa next December.  ;)

Playing Twister with her cousins after Christmas dinner.

Checking out her new blocks!

No comments: