Friday, May 1, 2015

My Week in Review

A business colleague of mine asked me the other day how it was going with two kids.  She said that when her second was born she realized that having two wasn't just a X2 situation, but rather a 2-squared type of deal.  Most days, I would disagree.  Having two has been challenging, but generally speaking not too bad.  This week, however, was the exception to that rule.  Here's the recap of the last week(ish) for our family...

last Thursday:  Emily crawled into bed with us Thursday night and was hot.  She had a fever, even the bottoms of her little feet were radiating heat.  Understandably, she was having a hard time sleeping... if you've ever been in bed with a tossing and turning toddler, you know that when she can't sleep, no one can.  I got up with her and got her some Tylenol and managed to get her back to sleep, but then I had a hard time getting myself back to sleep.  Long story short, that night I probably got in about 4 hours of sleep... total... NOT in a row.

Friday:  Emily seemed to be doing better.  Just some random fever thing I thought.  Took the two kids to daycare thinking it was going to be a regular day.  Got a text at about 4:00 PM letting me know that Emily had a fever and said that she felt like she was going to throw up.  I cut out of a meeting early to go pick her up.  Had to kind of chuckle to myself when I did the stereotypical "read an emergency text message and book it" sort of thing.  ;)  When I got to daycare, Emily was passed out on the couch, looking really flush.  I packed her up and took her home (left Sam there for Jacob to pick up so that I could spend an hour or so coddling Emily.  Within a couple of hours of being home, Emily appeared to be fine again (never vomited).  By that time I was pretty confused.  That night, she crawled into bed with us again.  With another fever.  This time we foregoed the Tylenol and rode it out.  Her fever broke and she seemed to be a-ok.

Saturday:  Emily's birthday party at my parents place.  Thankfully Emily was feeling better and everything went well.

Sunday: Hung out with friends and then drove home.  End of a nice weekend... thank God for that.

Monday:  Background info... our morning routine consists of Jacob taking all of the bags (diaper bag, pump, laptop if needed) out to my car on his way to work so that I just have to struggle with the kids about a half hour later.  This time, however, I had forgotten to take my car keys out of the diaper bag after our weekend adventures.  Which meant that they were in the car, all locked up, when I needed to leave.  So, right as he was getting into the office, Jacob got a call to drive home to rescue us.  Great start to a Monday.  I got the kids to daycare and got to work.  Around noon I get a call from daycare letting me know that Emily's eyes are really blood shot and there's a concern that she may have gotten pink eye (one of the other girls at daycare was diagnosed the week prior).  With my schedule packed solid, I call Jacob to see if he can retrieve Emily.  He does while I call the pediatrician to get her in for an appointment.  Turns out that she has "viral pink eye" which apparently isn't contagious and is just how some kids react to a cold.  They tell us to look out for "gunk" as that could mean that she's progressed to bacterial pink eye, which is contagious.  Jacob spent 4 hours in the car that day, and only 3.5 at work.

Tuesday:  Jacob decides to stay home with Emily and give her a day to rest and try to get her eyes to go back to normal (they are still pretty blood shot).  When I get home from work and am cuddling with Sam, I notice a little bit of sleepy type goo in his eye and wipe it away... three times.  Crap.

Wednesday:  Sam's right eye is pretty wet and gunky, but not red at all.  They don't seem to be bothering him, but I don't want to get another call from daycare, so we decide to drop Emily off and take Sam to his Nana's for the day.  I decide to go ahead and take him to ZoomCare first thing to get him checked out.  Turns out ZoomCare isn't covered by my insurance, so I end up paying way too much out of pocket only to hear that he also has viral pink eye.  I was confused as the pediatrician had told us that it wasn't contagious.  Turns out the pink eye isn't, but the cold that caused it is.  We were told to look out for the red blood shot eyes as that could mean bacteria issues.

Did you read that good?  Emily was red with no goo,  Sam was gooey with red.  WTF?

Thursday:  After dropping Emily off at daycare, I bring Sam home with the plan to get some work done at home and run some work related errands with him in tow.  Jacob is also working from home that day, so I figured we could tag team it.  Sam BARELY sleeps all day.  I have to get to the office in the afternoon so Jacob has to work with a baby (who refuses to sleep) on his lap for the last chunk of his day.  Apparently he didn't get much done.  Jacob calls me at about 5:15 telling me that Sam FINALLY fell asleep... and now he (Jacob) has to go pick up Emily.  Instead of risking waking the baby, we call daycare and get a brief extension to pick up Emily.  I leave work early to go get her.  She's the last one there, but doesn't seem to mind.

Today:  Sam wakes up at about 5:30 with his eye sealed shut and NOT happy about it.  Jacob and I both try several things and ultimately get the eye cleaned up.  But he's (and me) are awake at that point.  I cuddle him, feed him, and rock him and eventually, right after 6:00, he falls back asleep.  My alarm goes off at 6:30, so there's no real point to going back to bed.  Since it's my turn to stay home with a sick kid, I take the next hour to do some work and call in.  I spend the day with a cuddly, snotty, feverish, gooey baby.  Thankfully he wasn't too cranky, just physically gross.

Really hoping that we're all on the mend.

No comments: