Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Our Days

Shannon at From Match to Marriage posted today about what her schedule, as a working mother, looks like during the week... I was VERY happy to see that her schedule looked much like mine... and that housework was nowhere in there. lol

This is what the day looks like in our household:

4:30-6:00- Emily wakes up.  However, after feeding her a bottle and putting her back in her crib, she will USUALLY fall back asleep for another couple of hours.

6:15- My alarm goes off.  I hit snooze.

6:25 - Out of bed and into the shower.

6:25-7:10 - Shower, get dressed, put make up on, brush hair and teeth (I do this pretty quick... sleep is more important to me than doing a good job most mornings).

7:10-7:30 - Try to eat breakfast (try being the key word), check my e-mail, read my blogs/Facebook/etc.... if, of course, I'm not already running late.  =)  Get the diaper bag ready.  Ask Jacob if he's planning on getting out of bed.

7:20-7:30 - Get Emily up (if she isn't already).  Generally Jacob will get her dressed while I do last minute prep and make her a bottle.  If Emily wakes up before this time, Jacob will hang out with her while I get ready... usually this includes the two of them taking a shower.  She LOVES the water and playing in her tub!

7:30-7:40 - All three of us leave the house.  Jacob work bound, me daycare and then work bound.

8:00 - Drop Emily off at daycare.

8:00-8:45 (or 9 if traffic sucks) - Make my way to work.  This usually looks like me driving my car to the MAX and then taking the train into downtown.  Some days I drive, but it doesn't save me any time and (if I don't have a parking spot at work that day), costs more to park.

8:45ish-5:00ish - Work.

5:00-6:00 - Make my way home.  Jacob also gets off work at 5, but since his commute is a bit shorter he stops and picks up Emily on his way home (getting her at around 5:30).

6:00-7:00 - Play with baby time.  This is my ONE HOUR of the day that I can focus on my daughter.  =(  I take advantage.

7:00-7:15 - Put Emily to bed.  Jacob gets her changed and in her PJs while I prep a bottle.  Then he passes her off to me and I feed her and put her in her crib.  She either goes right to sleep or...

7:15-7:30 - Listen to Emily chatter while we make dinner.  =)  If she doesn't go right to sleep when I put her in her crib, she'll talk (loudly) to herself for a few minutes before she passes out.  We don't even need the baby monitor to hear her in there... it's kind of hilarious. =)

7:30-8:30ish - Jacob and I eat dinner together while catching up on some TV.  Sometimes, if I put something in the crock pot for dinner and its ready when we get home, we'll have a "family dinner" around the table and give Emily some food to eat/play with.  It all depends on our meal.**

8:30-10:30ish - Me time (sort of).  This usually includes catching up on FB/blogs/news/etc.  Editing photos (if I've had a shoot recently), watching some of "my" shows (those shows that Jacob could care less about) or doing something silly like loading the dishwasher or folding laundry. =)  (Right now, while doing this, I have a load of laundry in the dryer and another load in a basket that just came out of the dryer... I know these won't get folded any time soon... I'm trying to come to peace with that).

10:30ish - Off to bed... cringing at the thought of starting the whole day over again... I really feel like weekends should be longer than the rest of the "week".

Any sort of housework either occurs on the weekends, or "a little here, a little there" throughout the week.  I have been working on putting together a chore "schedule" to see if that will help us keep things on track as I am getting really frustrated with my house always being gross and not being able to find a shirt I want to wear or a clean pair of socks (because laundry rarely gets folded, and even less likely does it get put away in this house).

Exercise... what's that?  I am NOT waking up any earlier to do it, and by the time I get Emily in bed and eat dinner, the last thing I want to do is go to the gym.  I bought a yoga CD that I like... sometimes I do it.  ;)



**For the last 2-3 months I have been using the meal planning website Menu for the Week.  I LOVE it!  Saves me so much time and I enjoy eating a variety of things (before we started doing this, our menu from one night to the next looked pretty similar).  I also love the fact that it puts a grocery list together for me... so I just print it and go!  Love.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I like reading your schedule since you're right it is very similar to mine. Only difference is I can't wait to eat dinner until 8pm, I'm usually starving by the time I get home at 6! haha

Lauren said...

Being a working mom is rough! I'm sure you'll have many years later in life for a clean house... Though I totally know the annoyances of not being able to find what you want, or the lack of clean clothes.

Meghan C said...

I only work outside the house two days a week and the house still doesn't get very clean!