Friday, January 25, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie

Several months ago I purchased a Groupon/Living Social/Amazon Local/something-or-other-discount-deal for a year's subscription to Menu for the Week, a weekly meal planning service.  I LOVE it!  Not only is the food great, but they use "normal" foods that I tend to buy anyway, they put together a printable shopping list for me each week, the recipes makes enough for Jacob and I to have lunch left overs, and it's nice to not have to think about what's for dinner when I get home at night. Here is one of the recipes that we tried last week.  It is DELICIOUS!  It was a great meal for a cold, wet, Oregon evening.  Plus, I love easy crock pot recipes (and how good my house smells when I come home hungry after a day at work!) I definitely recommend. =) 

(I'm making it again tonight so that I can take it tomorrow to feed the Friends of Trees volunteers who are planting (for FREE!) two trees on our front strip.)

Crock Pot Upside Down Chicken Potpie
Makes 6 servings
Active Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 6 hours

1 - 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 onion - finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 18-ounce jar chicken gravy
1/2 gravy jar water
2 stalks celery - finely chopped
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables -
petite cut with peas, carrot, and corn
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons flour
*****************************
2 1/4 cups biscuit mix
2/3 cup milk

1) Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Top with onion, celery, bay leaf, pepper and gravy. Fill gravy jar half way with water and pour into pot.

2) Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.

3) About 30 minutes before serving, add frozen vegetables to the pot. Dissolve 2 T of flour in 1/2 cup
milk. Pour into crock pot and stir. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes to an hour.

4) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450. Combine milk and biscuit mix. Mix well and drop by heaping
tablespoons onto a large baking sheet. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.

5) Break chicken up with a spoon (it will fall apart), remove bay leaf and serve with a biscuit in each bowl.

No comments: