Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Camping at the Beach!

The beach is my happy place.  The calm, serenity of the Oregon coast has the power to make all of my stresses just float away.  When I was in high school I used to drive to the high school, sit on the bleachers at the soccer field, close my eyes and listen to the cars go by on the nearby road, pretending that I was listening to the ocean waves.  I used to take day trips with friends to Florence... even when it was raining and so windy that our umbrellas blew inside out... didn't matter.  I just wanted to touch the sand and hear the ocean.  =)

It's no surprise, really, that the beach, specifically the Oregon coast, has become such a part of my life and memories.  I was more than a little excited when I found out that the guy I was dating had parents with a beach house--may or may not have been a factor in my ultimate "yes".  ;)  (Love you J. lol)  Jacob proposed to me while on a beach trip, and, a year later we were married with our feet in the sand. 

P.S. Tomorrow is our 3-year anniversary!


I try to make it to the beach for a true "vacation" at least once a summer.  Back in 2010 we discovered Beachside State Park campground.  There are tons of campgrounds along the coast highway.  But, what I LOVE about this one is that it is on the WEST side of the highway... ie no walk and no road to cross.  The beach is, quite literally, steps from each campsite.  We camped there in 2010 and again in 2011.  In 2012 we had an infant, so decided to skip a year, but this last weekend we went back... with our daughter. 

It has been amazing to introduce my daughter to the things/places/people that I love and watch her explore and fall in love with them, too.  Plus, she's an awesome little camper.  Slept great in the pack and play in our tent even with all of the nose around her.  She also wasn't too interested in the campfire (which made me feel better!).  It was a great weekend.  And I can't wait to go back next year.  I even took an inventory of the campsites so I can make sure to get the "best one" next year.  =)

Good Morning!

Yummy breakfast to start the day.

Reading Daddy a "wake up" story





Got her her very own camp chair.  ;)

My family!  (I'm not a giant... just sitting closer to the camera. lol)

Have bucket, will play!

On our way home we stopped at the Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center.  A great (cheap) alternative to the aquarium!  Emily got to touch and explore all kinds of stuff!





No comments: