Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Kid is a Frickin' Genius (#1)

I marked this as "#1" as I expect that there will be other installments. ;)

So, a little bit of background before I go into why Emily is absolutely brilliant....  Before she was born a friend of mine gave us a gift of a lamb crib toy thing.  It attaches to the inside of the crib and, when you push on the lambs stomach, it plays music and does a small "light show".  Just within the last couple of weeks have I started to sift through the various toys that we have (as Emily is just now started to "play" with things) and I found this.  I strapped it into her crib and tested it out.  Fifty-percent of the time it doesn't actually do anything for her sleep, but 80% of the time I can get a 5-minute break to pee or make myself a sandwich while she watches the lights and listens to the music.

Well, last night, at 4 am, I woke up to "Old McDonald" coming through the baby monitor.  At first I thought that she had accidentally kicked it and turned it on.  But then it went off before it finished it's cycle (you can stop it by pushing the belly again).  I then expected to hear Emily start to cry and have to get up to get her.  But, I waited and nothing happened... for about 5 minutes.  And then "Mary Had a Little Lamb" came on!  And then I heard Emily do a little "giggle" (her happy noise... she's trying desperately right now to figure out how to laugh).  This went on for HALF AN HOUR! lol  Music on, music off, happy noise.  I was lying in bed just listening to her with a big ol' grin on my own face.  Finally, at 4:30 she started to whimper and I went in to feed her and put her back to sleep. 

Just goes to show that my kid is a frickin' genius and is starting to figure out cause and effect!

1 comment:

ExTerra said...

But of course she is :) What a great little story.