This year we have decided to do something similar... however since our focus has shifted from saving money to living a healthier lifestyle, we are having a "calorie count/no-going-out-to-eat month" (however, so that our social relationships don't suffer, we made an exception that if we were invited out, we could go... just couldn't make the invitation or grab something solo). I'm hoping that by the end of the month we'll both have a better grasp on what we SHOULD be eating and what real portion sizes look like. =) I have done calorie counts in the past and have dropped some definite poundage... so I'm hoping for similar results as well.
In addition to our food challenge, I also want to start writing/blogging more... so, I've decided to make this a total self-exploration month and do a 30-Day Blog Challenge... one entry every day for the next thirty days.
There are a bunch of "challenges" around the blogosphere. I looked at three of them, compared prompts, and picked my favorite 30 that I'll cover over the next 30 days (you can find those lists here, here and here). I may also throw in some random house posts and maybe some more wedding recaps (does anyone still want to hear about these?).
So, without further ado: Prompt #1:
A Picture of Myself With Ten Facts
This is one of my favorite photos of myself. It was taken a couple of years back on a ferry heading out to Vancouver Island in British Columbia... which leads me into my facts:
- I lived in British Columbia for a year while going to grad school at Simon Fraser University
- I have both a BA and MA in Criminology - my focus has always been on preventing youth/young adult crime through life skills training
- I currently work as a case manager for a local social service agency... I'm provide life skills training for youth/young adults... I'm doing what I love and what I believe in.... it feels awesome
- I'm tall... 5'10"... makes it really difficult to buy pants (as I wear a 35-36" inseam) and slow dance (not many shoulders that I can easily rest my head on)
- My goal is to see all 50 states before I die. I'm a little over halfway there... I'm hoping to go to the Dakotas this summer. Why? 'Cause I haven't been there yet. =)
- I've spent time in 6 different countries (U.S., Canada, New Zealand, Australia, France, England)... I want to add some more to that list as well.
- My first paid job was at age 12 as a writer for the local newspaper. I wrote monthly columns for their "20Below" section (part of the paper written, photographed and illustrated by staffers under 20). I was the youngest person EVER (before and after my term) on the staff.
- I've been maced before... by my aunt! It was an accident, but still funny to tell people. ;)
- I have a phobia of people/things tampering with my (or other people's) veins. It sounds weird, but it's true. For the most part I can handle blood and guts... but if the story or personal experience has to do with a slashed or severed limb, or a blood draw or IV of any sort, chances are pretty good that I will either pass out or have to leave the room/end the conversation. I passed out an had a small seizure the last time I got hooked up to an IV. It's bad. My doctor gave me anti-anxiety medication before I went in for my last blood draw. lol
- I love chocolate... especially in ice cream. That's going to be the hardest thing to conquer this month... not being able to gorge myself on Tillamook or Umpqua (but, in all honesty, they are partial to blame for my current situation! lol).