Monday, February 28, 2011


Life has been kind of gross the last couple of weeks.

About a week and a half ago I got one of my wisdom teeth pulled.  I've never had one pulled before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  At the consultation the hygienist telling me about the procedure asked if I wanted to be put under complete or if I'd rather just go with a local anesthetic.  Since I've never done this before, I had NO idea.  She told me that since the tooth was a "partial" (already almost coming through the surface) it should be similar to any other tooth extraction (which I have had done before).  I told her that I would generally be ok with a local, however my concern was around my "white-coat syndrome"... i.e. I get really anxious in medical situations (I have a pretty long history of fainting... just from getting myself worked up).  The hygienist suggested that they could give me some nitrous to relax me during the procedure.  I thought this was a good idea, and it was decided.

Or so I thought.

On the day of the "surgery" I was already feeling pretty panicky and nervous.  When I got to the dentist they started sticking me with the local, but nothing was said about the nitrous.  Finally I asked about it, and the hygienist (a different one than at the consult) said that she thought I would be "fine" and that it "cost more" and she didn't think I'd need it.  Being the trusting, non-confrontational person that I am, I went with.  I put on my headphones, turned on some Snow Patrol and just tried to relax.  Tried being the key word here. 

The procedure was hideous.  So much pushing and pulling and yanking going on in my mouth.  I hated it.  I couldn't "feel" anything, but it was still really uncomfortable, but, I was (psychologically) doing ok.  And then it was done.  The dentist left the room, the hygienist sat me up and immediately the room started to "spin".  I asked to be laid back down, which she did and then left the room.  I tried to breathe deeply and relax, but it didn't work.  The next thing I knew, I was hearing the hygienist asking me what I was chewing on (I'd passed out and starting chewing on the gauze... I think I must have thought I had gum in my  mouth or something).  One of my arms was hanging on the side of the dental chair and my MP3 player was on the floor.  Everything was very fuzzy.  The hygienist quickly put an oxygen mask on me and a cool washcloth on my forehead.  I slowly started to feel a little better.  After several minutes I thought I was alright and asked to be sat up... bad idea... I started to feel woozy again, and asked to lay down again and to have the oxygen back.

I don't usually have TWO spells... but I was really close.  It took me about half an hour to finally get to a point where I was able to walk out of the dentist office, and even then I had to have Jacob support me a little bit (he showed up to get me just after I asked for the oxygen back).  Jacob drove me home and I curled up on the couch.  I was not really in much pain (never did end up using the vicodin I was prescribed) but, for anyone who has a history of fainting, you know how much that can take out of you!  I felt horrible for the next few hours.

For a couple of days after the surgery, I felt a weird "draining" coming from the hole.  At first I thought  maybe it was just saliva or some of the anesthesia stuff they'd injecting me with working it's way out of my system, but them it occurred to me that I thought I was a nasal drip.  I could also feel water in my nose whenever I swished water around the hole (it was really weird).  It went away after a couple of days, and at my post-op appointment I was told that I was healing well, and then I got on a plain to Vegas to celebrate a friend's birthday.

They next day I felt like shit... and have for several days now.  I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon and it turns out that I have a sinus infections (yay).  I'm on antibiotics now and starting to feel a bit better, but I'm just really tired of being "sick" (I have only worked 5 days out of the last 10... the vacation has been nice, but I'm over it).

So, for now, just... Ugh.  I hope I feel better tomorrow. =)


Bicoastal Bride said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry. What a horrible things to have to go through. I hope you feel better soon! :(

Lauren said...

I just had to chuckle when I saw the first part of your post about things being gross around your place lately. Once you have kids (you'll join the ranks soon, I'm sure) gross attains a whole new level. The past two days both of my boys have been VERY sick. Lets just say I need to rent a carpet cleaner and I won't be inviting anyone to come over until I can clean the carpets and rugs this weekend. Yeah. Does that make you feel any better about your present situation? :)

I hope you get feeling better soon. Those sinus infections are nasty.