Saturday, February 12, 2011

Embracing Surprises

I hate surprises. 

Well, let me rephrase that... I love surprises, I just don't like knowing that they are coming.

Jacob told me about a week ago not to make plans for today (Feb. 12th) after 5 PM.  He told me that he's taking me out somewhere... and then he used those three words that just make me cringe: It's a surprise.

Here's why I hate knowing about surprises.  I'm a control freak.  I admit it.  I like to have things planned out and know what to expect at every step along the way. Plus, and most importantly, I need to know what the event is going to be so I know what to wear!!  (I've gotten burned several times relying on other people to tell me what appropriate attire will be for an event... I don't want everyone staring/commenting about me).

This is what I've gotten out of Jacob so far:  we are doing something that we haven't done before; we don't have to travel outside of the city;  it has a specific start time; casual attire is fine (we'll see, hmph!); and, there is something in his glove box that will explain where we're going (I got this last little bit out of him this morning before he headed off to work... I told him that I would be pissed if he had an accident or something today and got amnesia and wasn't able to tell me what he'd planned for us. lol... such a loving wife, right?).

I know that I should love the fact that he's surprising me with an evening out, and I do!  He rarely plans activities for us, so I'm definitely excited.  I just can't help but be a little anxious about it as well.

Am I alone here?  Does anyone else really dislike knowing that a surprise is coming?

No comments: